I stated writing this post a few months ago!…. Better late than never!
I have been off WordPress a bit of late. But the plot is still growing away, as is my own little (or rather big) side project. The baby bump!!
This post is a big overview of the year.
– Potatoes in the big bed grew well. We harvested these around the end of September. And this year we got them before the slugs! They turned out much better than expected considering I hadn’t given them much love. The potatoes in the waterlogged bed did grow, just not as much or as big. Next year I will need to find another way to drain my willow soaking pool, rather than just letting the water run into the beds.
-Tomatoes greenhouse and outdoor… Did well. But again a little tlc and they would have cropped longer and better. As always my greenhouse plants did the best.
-I also grew cucumbers and peppers in my greenhouse. Which did well.
-I grew some sunflowers to cut this year. They turned out great as just kept on flowering away all summer. And made lovely gifts to a lucky few! I also grew some big sunflowers…. Can’t have a plot without a few monsters!
-My tradition sweetpeas grew away nicely. But I’m determined to make them last longer. Lots of water?
– I also grew borage, wildflowers and some other companion flowers this year.
-My mini squash looked great, but gave up in the hot weather. I got two fruits… So it’s a start! They looked very pretty when growing away so I will try again next year.
– My beetroots did well. But got nibbled before I could get to them.
– Courgettes were a disaster this year. Just didn’t and didn’t want to know. They usually grow like weeds!
– Strawberry plants had there first year in a new bed. Hopefully next year they will show off!
-Raspberry plants were a bit sad this year. I didn’t cut back hard enough and I noticed a big improvement when I did! Next yearbook will be harsh on my lovely plants!
We cleared the plot and greenhouse down for autumn a little early this year. Next stop is manure spreading :).
Then we can start fresh in New year… With a brand new extra set of hands! I suspect he won’t come out with gardening gloves in hand…. But given a few years!
I’m back after a weeks holiday! Beach eat sleep repeat. It was blissful!
And the plot has had a great time being looked after by my mother! Although I sespect she harvested nothing…. as this is my bounty!
So I have set to work, and made:
-Leeks and potatoes from previous harvest went into dinner last night
I plan to make:
-Tomatoe, courgette and chilli chutney… Not sure if I will do a few variations and also get some green tomatoes involved…I have tried a few recipes in the past …but any suggestions?
– possible some sort of pickled chilli and Courgette?
-pickled beetroots or beetroot chutney?
Basically our house will smell rancid with chutney wafts this week!! I’m thinking to try and make a chutney each night after work 🙂
…Can you make leek chutney?!
My parents saved the sunflowers with some large wooden stakes….and fixed up my raspberries. Once I have had all the fruit this year I need to work out how to cut them back (3 different season varieties) and then set up a proper training system for next year! 🙂 this was my first year with raspberries and I have to say they are amazing!!
Things I should have done:
Dug up my late potatoes. Although they are still flowering!?
Cut back my tomatoes (removing lower branches) to help to green ones to get ripe (not that it’s an issue at the moment) but they do need to be organised as I have let them run wild!
Admired my flowers
General tidy and organise!