I’m at the stage that I need a plan again.
Things I need to do on the plot this weekend:
– Check sweet peas and sweetcorn are alive and possibly plant in the ground.
– Get my structures in place. Bamboo poles please!
– Clear ‘back area’ on my plot ready for the hammock stand in may.
– Sow beetroot, chard seeds direct in soild.
– Find my paper plans! Probably do this first… as I may have illegally sown extra crops. And it could go horribly wrong!
– Get some wood chipping for my strawberry bed.
– Get a proper frame made for my raspberry canes, and string them up! And remove any cheeky unwanted suckers that have popped up.
-Tidy greenhouse! A good rainy day job!
– Investigate compost bin 1… And dig into back bed… I need to put a little path back in here as it proved to be impossible last year.
– Do a bit of general maintenance… Weeding, fixing, levelling…
And I think that lot will keep me busy!
Posted from WordPress for Android
I have a horrid never ending cold at the moment. But I had to laugh when yesterday I was scrabbling in my pocket and pulled out seed tape instead of my tissue!
So yes the spring onion seed tape went in 🙂 and was not used as a tissue. I have never ‘seed’ anything like it… Giant wide seed tape… With a little strip of seeds in the middle. Let’s hope it works.
Garlic and onions moved out from my greenhouse, and went in a freshly dug patch.
And I got my mixed leeks sown. And I got some beetroots sown, or I will do when I go back today.
I got lots of seeds in on Friday night… As a result we are dinning around seedlings…Needs must!
The sown list
Courgette x2 varieties
Sunflowers x 2 varieties
Squash red kiri
Tomatoes… The first!
And here is the plot in overview. My bulbs are doing well 🙂 seeing all the bees last weekend I’m so glad I put so many in. And it looks great!! More next year.
And my bulb lasagne pots are working, I can see my tulips slowly emerging. Then it’s the summer bulbs after that!
Posted from WordPress for Android
I made it to the plot on Sunday. Time runs away with me on the plot, in a happy way (especially in the sunshine) so complete with suncream I set to work!
Things I did:
-dug up my remaining early potatoes (not so early…but looking lovely) and they have not been attacked by bugs this year! I only stabbed a few. So generally it wasn’t the disaster I was predicting! Yay!!
– dug over the whole bed… watered and then in went… (shop sources plugs ….sorry wanted to give them a running start!) kale, broccoli, cauliflower. Thanks for the suggestions on my last post.
-I removed my final black fly ridden bean plants and spaced out my chard seedlings a little more…the seedlings are doing really well now and perhaps this is a lesson in patience (as I should have let them get a bit bigger before I moved the first lot) however I am sure they will catch up
-covered my beetroot plants again as they are determined to push themselves out of the soil
-sowed a new lot of spring onions
-then my assistant came to join me; we sat in the hammock read books and ate chocolate fingers 🙂
On the eat/pick list:
-tomatoes from greenhouse… Just
-Courgette and one huge giant marrow!
-potatoes, all the earliest are stored now
-spring onions, just picking as and when
-rocket and spinach
-one giant cucumber!
-my first sunflowers is nearly ready to flower! perhaps by the end of this week!? Only 11 more to go!
– my carrot seeds sown on a whim have shooted! So although I don’t really like carrots there is hope for carrots on my plot and will keep assistant happy as he likes then!
– my late sown flower seeds are taking hold and I think I wil need to try and recall what I planted and space then out…. Possibly around the plot. Fingers crossed they might flower before the end of summer!
-sweet peas are making lots of lovely seed pods and drying off nicely! A lovely friend gave me some ‘seed saver’ pots so I can get these into action!
– my snap draggons (sorry I don’t know the grown up name yet) look amazing, as does the cosmos (is that what they are even called?)!! So I am going to try and save some of the for next year.
Complete with sunflower wall 🌻🌻🌻🌻
My greenhouse seeds got frazzled alive!
I should have known and made a bigger effort to get down the plot after work during the week… Or Friday night or even Saturday… But I left it till Sunday evening. Big mistake!!!
I have just installed a weather app on my phone (i hope technology will save the day). And I’m going to make a more conscious effort to get to the plot for a water; if we get near 15/20c (tuesday….). In the summer I usually leave the door off: but it’s so up and down at the moment! I came back from the plot muttering to myself… (If I had a greenhouse / garden this wouldn’t happen… If I had kept my seedling at home like I have done on the past…if I actually took notice of the weather!)
Sadly I can’t go back in time. But I can sow more seeds! Today I packed my work bag with failed seedlings and my gardening gloves. Tonight I will be legging it out the office to catch those last rays of daylight at the plot for some re sowing.
I did water my seedlings… In the hope they might have a tiny bit of life left in them. Fingers crossed!
And it wasn’t a total disaster. The mini modules (beetroot, borage, lettuce, lucky dip seeds) suffered the worst as they just dry out so fast. Everything else was ok.
On a possitive note; I took my first leggy cucumber plants down to the greenhouse… And I left a window open!!