I stated writing this post a few months ago!…. Better late than never!
I have been off WordPress a bit of late. But the plot is still growing away, as is my own little (or rather big) side project. The baby bump!!
This post is a big overview of the year.
– Potatoes in the big bed grew well. We harvested these around the end of September. And this year we got them before the slugs! They turned out much better than expected considering I hadn’t given them much love. The potatoes in the waterlogged bed did grow, just not as much or as big. Next year I will need to find another way to drain my willow soaking pool, rather than just letting the water run into the beds.
-Tomatoes greenhouse and outdoor… Did well. But again a little tlc and they would have cropped longer and better. As always my greenhouse plants did the best.
-I also grew cucumbers and peppers in my greenhouse. Which did well.
-I grew some sunflowers to cut this year. They turned out great as just kept on flowering away all summer. And made lovely gifts to a lucky few! I also grew some big sunflowers…. Can’t have a plot without a few monsters!
-My tradition sweetpeas grew away nicely. But I’m determined to make them last longer. Lots of water?
– I also grew borage, wildflowers and some other companion flowers this year.
-My mini squash looked great, but gave up in the hot weather. I got two fruits… So it’s a start! They looked very pretty when growing away so I will try again next year.
– My beetroots did well. But got nibbled before I could get to them.
– Courgettes were a disaster this year. Just didn’t and didn’t want to know. They usually grow like weeds!
– Strawberry plants had there first year in a new bed. Hopefully next year they will show off!
-Raspberry plants were a bit sad this year. I didn’t cut back hard enough and I noticed a big improvement when I did! Next yearbook will be harsh on my lovely plants!
We cleared the plot and greenhouse down for autumn a little early this year. Next stop is manure spreading :).
Then we can start fresh in New year… With a brand new extra set of hands! I suspect he won’t come out with gardening gloves in hand…. But given a few years!
I’m at the stage that I need a plan again.
Things I need to do on the plot this weekend:
– Check sweet peas and sweetcorn are alive and possibly plant in the ground.
– Get my structures in place. Bamboo poles please!
– Clear ‘back area’ on my plot ready for the hammock stand in may.
– Sow beetroot, chard seeds direct in soild.
– Find my paper plans! Probably do this first… as I may have illegally sown extra crops. And it could go horribly wrong!
– Get some wood chipping for my strawberry bed.
– Get a proper frame made for my raspberry canes, and string them up! And remove any cheeky unwanted suckers that have popped up.
-Tidy greenhouse! A good rainy day job!
– Investigate compost bin 1… And dig into back bed… I need to put a little path back in here as it proved to be impossible last year.
– Do a bit of general maintenance… Weeding, fixing, levelling…
And I think that lot will keep me busy!
Posted from WordPress for Android
My Sunflowers looked like a disaster zone on the plot; 3 down and 4 wonky wobblers!
But we have a silver lining! The best flower display ever!!
And after a night’s drink… They look a bit more perky!
I have strung the remains and attached one to the bbq (almost certainly a bad idea) but needs must!! 🙂
It’s taken a while but we got there…
Cat balcony open for business!
-All dusted and all safe
-Just need a cat….But where is she?… Snoozing on the sofa
I then realised we are basically living in a cat prison! From what we know she has always been a house cat, so it will be interesting to see what she makes of it.
I’m having issues with posts from my phone again. So this is my 3rd attempt to post this…
So I had a quick ‘plot perv’ at the weekend.
– rhubarb and raspberrys from last week are still intact!
– greenhouse sweet peas are a no show. I will keep hopeful! It could be my seeds from last year are not the best.
– greenhouse onions are snoozing…still
-greenhouse garlic is shooting! It’s nice to see some green!
– outside seeds are a no show… Carrot, Spring onion, beans. Probably just a bit over keen… I will wait and see.
– we also visited the ‘chitting factory’ aka my parents house. The potatoes are having a nice sunbathing holiday! 😎
I am going to wait till mid March to get the bulk of my seeds sown.
I have also seen some great pop up grow bag beds; that I want to invest in. It should add growing space in my greenhouse and out on the plot… And it has handles! Port-a-plot!
I’m a little obsesed with sweet peas, and very determind to grow them for a second year. Last year we grew a few for our wedding… So now when I see sweet peas it makes me smile! Mainly because of how much I was willing them to bloom!
Here they are probably early July… When they were in full bloom. We had been away on honeymoon for 2 weeks. So we probably missed the best blooms. But it was a nice suprise when we got back.
Here are some I collected for a neighbour
This is one of the bunches….at our wedding. These ones literally bloomed the day before the wedding in June.
We had a florist to do the house flowers. That equally became an obsession on its own right. I did learn something… That florists and I really don’t really work. I much prefer the growing!
This year I am trying to work out new ways to squish sweet peas into the ends of beds…. Then I found this inspiration image online! Which looks rather pretty!
I collected pea children from last year, and I am planning to soak and sow them soon indoors. Hopefully with a cosy start they will get nice and strong like last years plants. I’m always a bit nervous starting seeds now as they can get a bit leggy. Looking forward to getting them growing!